The department of Education has successfully updated the curriculum at the B.Ed. level and has introduced skill-based components at various levels of the course. Some of these components relate to environmental education, educational technology, action research, educational management and modules on micro and simulated teaching practices.
In order to update the M.Ed. courses, a similar plan in underway. The department, therefore, has to be suitably reinforced in the following areas:
- Educational Technology Lab including computer, and VTRs and VCRs.
- Language Lab. For enrichment training in Sanskrit language specially for the pre-service target group of teachers.
- Capacity building workshops for various levels of the faculty in the department.
- Improvising suitable teaching learning material in the light of the new courses introduced and likely to be introduced at the M.Ed. level (Shikshacharya) during X Five Year Plan period.
The specific requirements of the department are as follows:
- Enhancement of faculty position specially at the level of Lecturers and Readers.
- Infrastructural inputs and equipments for which a sum of Rs. 20 lacs will be required for strengthening the present faculty/resources of the department.
- Workshops in the nature of capacity building programmes for which the department proposes to organize at least three such workshops during X Five Year Plan period. For this a sum of rs. 8.00 lacs will be needed.
- Preparation of teaching learning materials in the areas of educational technology, educational management, environmental education, educational evaluation and action research for which the literature is awefully deficient in the country.
- Organising capacity building action research projects for pre-service teachers at the Shiksha Shastri and Shikshacharya level, to ensure quality concerns in respect of school education specially for teaching of Sanskrit. For this five long term and ten short term research projects may be approved for the department to be undertaken during X Five Year Plan period. In addition to the above to tone up the academic and research activities, the requirement of two posts of Professor and two Posts of Readers may be considered.
Theoretical component comprising seven courses with special accent on educational Technology, Action Research, Environmental Education and Value based Education, Practicum consisting of Micro-teaching, practice through school based teaching; preparation of Audio-visual aids, psychological testing, scouting/guiding, Quiz, Sanskrit debates conservation panels and Sessional Work, has been introduced.
The Faculty of Teachers’ Taining Shiksha Shastri started functioning from July, 1964 with a view to provide trained teachers to the country. This department conducts two courses each of one year duration at graduate and post-graduate levels. Some of the successful students get themselves registered for research degree of Vidyavaridhi. Keeping in view its almost four decades background, this department has contributed significantly in the field of Sanskrit education by providing thousands of trained teachers in all sectors of secondary education spread all over the country. Due to strong Sanskrit background, products of Vidyapeetha Training College have won laurels by way of winning Teachers’ Award and other National Awards meant for meritorious contribution in the field of education. It may also be mentioned that many of our teachers are now hightly placed in administrative capacity as well.
With a radical change of syllabi of Shiksha Shastri and Shiksha Acharya as per the guidelines of University Grants Commission and National Council for Teacher Education, the future of this department is bright for contribution in the field of higher education as related to teachers’ training programme.